Security Guard Licensing is an important aspect of becoming a security guard. Some states you don’t need a license but most states have licensing requirements. Generally you also need to complete some training to obtain your licence.
Keep up to date with Security News - Register here >>
Getting a security license
When you decide that you want to become a security guard there are a number of things to find out about that may differ state to state.
1. Do you need to complete training?
2. What type of training do you need to complete?
3. What type of security guard position do you want to do?
4. What specific training do you need to do to work in that role?
5. Do you need to apply for your license?
6. Who do you need to apply for your license with?
Some states, such as California, require a security guard card to be a security guard.
As an overview to obtain your security guard you need to:
1. Complete the training with an accredited training organisation and obtain the certificate and the signed application form
2. Get fingerprinted and pay the fee at a local sheriff’s office
3. Submit your application either online, in person or by mail
You can find out more about that at this video:
How to find out what is required in your state
To find out more about what is required to obtain and apply for your security guard licence in your state and what training companies are in your area please go to http://www.yourlocalsecurityguard.com/security-guard-license.html
Becoming a security guard is challenging but very rewarding and it is a career that can take you places. Don’t think about it just do it!