Armed Security Guards are the personnel, who are employed by the companies or individuals to ensure the security of their customers, places or assets. The job of an armed security guard is more perilous and risky as compared to the job of an unarmed security guard; also, they have to be more responsible and liable. They are highly skilled and trained for using an armed weapon and carry one with them, at all times. It requires a rigorous training to become a professional in this field. Therefore, if you wish to make your career in this field, you should prepare yourself, both physically and mentally to go through a basic armed security guard training.
Armed Security Guard Training Requirements
Armed SG training requirements differ from place to place. However, here are some general requirements that you must fulfill in order to get an armed security guard registration card:-
• You must be at least 21 years of age. You should be mentally and legally competent.
• You should have a license for armed weapons.
• As the Department of Homeland Security mandated, you need to undergo an 8 hours fundamental training course. You must also complete 16 hours of on the job drilling and 47 hours of firearms training, operations and safety courses and additional 8 hours of training every year, after appointment.
• The next criterion is Background check. This is a hectic and exhausting screening procedure which includes DNA testing and Fingerprints checking, checking for criminal records, drug testing and mental assessment. Your physical health should be good and you should have good moral character references to successfully pass such background checks.
If you have been a peace officer, military person, active police officer or licensed private investigator, you are exempted from these extensive background checks.
What kind of Training should I expect?
• If you choose to be an armed security guard, and fulfill the necessary requirements, you would be given the training on all aspects of safeguarding a person or a business. In this vigorous training, you would be trained on how to use a surveillance system, how and when to use a firearm and how to do street surveillance.
• Some training courses for security guard also focus on how to deter crime, how to report crime and notice minute details, in order to help the police. You would also be taught about your legal responsibilities as an armed security guard.
• In some courses, you could be given a chance to work on site with a training guard.
• Metal Detection course, First Aid Training and Fire guard Preparation class are some other important aspects of the armed security guard training,
Some of the armed security guard companies also give additional training for certain special positions, such as training on how to deal with prison riots and angry prisoners, only if you are appointed on prison duty. The armed guards, who are appointed on Mall security duties or personal Duties, are given more extensive training.
Though the venture demands a lot of hard work and persistence, yet it can be truly self-satisfying for you, if you are an adventurous soul. The other benefits of becoming an armed security guard include –higher salary, higher insurance premium, world travel, opportunities to be with celebrities and better career prospects. In addition, you can carry a firearm with you, at all time, which indeed ensures your personal safety.